On topic: Techno music made by Detroit artists. Techno music by people
inspired by Techno music made by Detroit Artists. Detroit House Music.
Chicago House Music, when it is made by people who are down with
Techno and House music made by Detroit artists.  Announcements of
upcoming record releases, parties, raves, gallery openings, Bar and
Bat Mitzvahs of the children of any of the musicians listed above.
The City of Detroit, when the actions of the goverment thereof, or the
people thereof, somehow affect the Techno Music made by Detroit
Artists.  Arranging meet-ups at shows, parties, raves, etc where any
of the above-mentioned artists will appear.  The music and culture of
cities and countries other than Detroit, inasmuch as it involves any
of the above-mentioned musicians.  Musical percursors of Detroit
Techno, including but not limited to New Wave, Disco, Krautrock, and
Italo.

Off topic, but OK in moderation: Jokes (but only if actually
humorous), Pistons, Redwings, Tigers, Lions. Intra-313 list banter.
Restaurant reviews.

Off Topic, but never OK: Correcting the grammar or word usage in 313
list messages, Insults, Threats, Racist or Misogynistic comments.
Politics (unless directly related to a topic deemed On-topic).  The
relative size of the reproductive organs of 313 list members (real or
metaphorical).  Religion.

As for people getting salty on the list.  I am of two minds about
this.  It's better in general to let an ugly thread run its course,
because to try and 'address it'  can give it a life beyond its natural
span.

On the other hand, I hear from people for whom a rancorous thread is a
buzzkill.  Those threads harsh their mellow.  Feelings, reportedly,
have been hurt.

So from now on, when I see it happening, I will make one post that
says 'Take it off list.' This isn't just beautifying the shoulder of
the our stretch of the Internets, this is for your own protection.
Everything posted on 313 is publicly archived, and you will thank me
someday for  telling you to take it private, lest you have to explain
your bad behavior to your grandchildren who will be way, way better
than you at searching the Internet for embarrassing stuff about gran
and gramps.

Repeated bad behavior and failure to take it off list can get your
posting privileges revoked.  That's only happened a couple of times in
the history of the list, and I'd like to avoid being pushed to that
decision.