I think the almost epidemic concern about the state of today's mastering comes from the fact that we don't have a choice. You can't simply say "'don't listen to it" otherwise you would not listen to anything produced in
the last decade.  Sure, in your example you got the originals but for
anything produced in the last 10 years, this simply is not an option. It's
squashed or nothing..

That's not completely true. Stuff I've seen distributed digitally (on CD, but more what I'm talking about is from places like junodownload and beatport)....something I've been very pleasantly surprised by.

Though I do agree a lot of stuff from Europe is squashed (on vinyl and otherwise), a sound I'm not overly keen on.

robin...