Hmmm...those first few years were a LOT more eclectic than anything I see (Autechre, Theo...Tortoise!) here. I'm not sure if we are hearkening back in that sense, anyway. And I'd wager a lot more than who's there goes into who travels. Like money. I know I'd never be able to afford it if I had to fly to it and book a room. I'm betting many others are in the same boat. Anyway, agreed - it looks hopeful. I just don't think we should pee in that direction before we know what's up.
I admit:
I'd go if I hated half of what was there and focus on the other half.

I'm not sure that pleasing the few to whom this will make a difference
qualifies as a 'great reward'.
A good thing, yes.
It's always a great time and you can't please everyone.
Go - or don't.

but theyre going back to more of what the festival was all about when
it attracted that worldwide crowd. it needs to be something special,
something that is special because it is in detroit.