Thomas D. Cox, Jr. wrote:
On 3/28/07, theREALmxyzptlk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Play it for a typical country music fan.
Let me know how it goes. ;-)
-----------------------

but what is a typical country music fan? nowadays country music is
more bad pop than "country". i see people at school all the time who
listen to modern country, mainstream hiphop, and trance and dont even
think twice about it.

disco soul and funk were all and still are pop music. hardcore jazz,
classical, or whatever might not like it, but those people are
hardcore for a reason ;)

I agree with all of that (especially the state of modern 'country'), but you know full well what I meant and it isn't sort of listener who really doesn't care whether they are playing Bob Seeger or Tiesto. What I am trying to get at is genre rejection, i.e., lots of people aren't going to forgive something because it doesn't fit their preconceived notion(s) about how music should sound/function. And those inside the genre hear the nuances that provide the foil of variation for repetition. The latter is often what ears outside of the loop hear. I can't tell you how often I have played what I consider to be good TECHNO material to people who will reject it outright, regardless of how many clear 'pop structures' are present. Sure - people can be found who will be open to hear new things in any crowd - there are exceptions. I'm not as confident as you in some universal/transcendent notion of what makes a song good - or rather, I'm not confident enough to anoint my own ears as 'the' normative standardmakers.
And nobody really took on the Walker record.

                                        jeff