On Apr 20, 2007, at 3:50 AM, Fred Heutte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The closing of at least part of the Ponch is causing a cascading
effect on all the other hotels.  There were rooms at the Hilton
Garden just two days ago and I didn't grab them fast enough.

Same here.  Last weekend I looked and the Holiday Inn Express as
well as the Atheneum still had rooms, but both of those are long gone.

I always do this - look stuff up, get a few good choices, then punt
'til the next weekend, by which time they're all gone.  Can't get the
$286 non-stops on Northwest anymore, either.  I'm up to $292 with
stops in Dallas each way on American instead ... ugh.  Someday I'll
learn that "Procrastination" is *not* a good middle name.

The Holiday Inn (ex Best Western, I had several good stays
there) and Shorecrest are all full, as noted.  I actually looked at
reviews of the Milner and Leland (ex-Ramada) but even if I was
desperate I wouldn't stay there.  The Omni down on the waterfront
has rooms but is very pricey.

The Omni's also pretty far away.  Probably be a healthy taxi fare
to Hart Plaza and back from there.  I like walking distance - even
if it's a bit of a walk.  Especially when cabs (or parking spaces
for rental cars) are a bit of a challenge.

So I'm at the Comfort Inn again this year, which is at least
close enough even if it isn't where the cool kids stay :)

As, apparently, am I - unless something comes up or someone
cancels at one of the aforementioned places.

I guess we can call the Comfort Inn the Old Folks' Home now, eh Phred? ;)

(And didja remember to pick "50+ (Mature Traveler) Rate" from the
 "Select Rate Program" pull-down menu on the hotel's main page? ;)  )

        - Greg