out left wrote:
>> http://djdecks.be/ heaps better than the rest, unless you are spending
>> big money on Serato etc

<snip>

>  Since it's been a while (i think?) .. has anyone got any updates/info
>  on some of these systems .. reliability ? functionality ?

I use serato fs out on the odd occasion when I play out, as does my
quite a few of my friends. When I do see people using a digital dj setup
these days, I mostly see them using serato fs.

I haven't had any hassles with it crashing on me (yet). The latest
version has key correction (finally) and the beat looping is getting
there, although no where as tight as ableton or traktor.

The two main gripes I've had with it is:

1. crawling around in the dark in a dj booth trying to get it all setup
while another dj is playing without disturbing
2. sh*tty decks which are completely out of alignment, and make it
*really* hard to get serato synced up nicely. This has only happened to
me once and probably would've been less of a problem if I'd brought my
own needles. Lesson learnt (shouldn't learnt that one years ago with
normal vinyl).

>  Who have you seen on the circuit using these systems ??

I've seen A-Trak, Mix Master Mike (although he used it with CD decks),
Common's DJ (not sure of his name) and Diplo using it out amongst others.

>  The essential function I am looking for is the ability to cue a digital
> track
>  .. pitch adjust it into the mix using a turntable .. then release the
> track
>  from the turntable and then start the process on a new track.
>
>  Basically .. providing the ability to do multi deck mixing using only one
>  turntable as a control device.

You can do that now with serato fs. Its a really great feature when
you've got a crap deck or a deck that's too close to a speaker stack
without decent sound proofing.

--
dave.