List,

Apologies for the OT, but I'm getting pretty frustrated and would like
some help; I've never had much success on this subject and I'd really
like to figure it out. I need to know a good tool to remove (as best
as possible) background noise from some crappy field audio. I've used
about 6 or so that I'm not impressed with: SoundSoap, Waves X-Noise,
Sony Noise Reduction, and Final Cut Pro's Soundtrack features.

They all basically have a "threshold" and an "amount" slider (with
varying ways to name them). I can basically lighten up the sound
slightly, but I can't really take it out without the voice getting all
robotic.

I think I need something that allows you to choose different
thresholds and amounts for different frequencies. I think. Let me know
offlist what you've had success with, or any guideance/advice you
might have.

Thanks!