On May 25, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Adam Smith wrote:

I had the cab ride of my life in Detroit during the DEMF one year, I
will never forget it and I am just glad that I was with friends to
prove that it actually happened.

This reminds me of MEK's diptych of reviews of the Leland/Ramada. Elist's archives being down, I will quote:

Isn't the Leland the place that used to be calling itself a Ramada but
wasn't really a Ramada?
I recall reading some hairy situations from customers who booked themselves in and when they saw the hotel and the rooms they checked themselves right
back out.
Some things like room doors that don't lock, unidentified dark stains on carpet and walls, holes in walls, junkies in the hallways and lobby hitting
people up for money, screaming in the middle of the night, etc.

here's one quote from TripAdvisor.com

"My stay at the Leland Hotel was the most fun I've ever had. First off this is not a good hotel for families with small children because they might need phsycological help when they get home and also not a good choice for fans of teams other than Detroit to stay either, because you'll probablly get mugged or killed. If you want a taste of the real Detroit stay here and
you won't be disappointed. Out of the 6 elevators 1 works and it has a
smell that is unlike any other I've smelt before. There is also a goth
night club right down in the lobby that blasts music all night on the
weekends. Even if you are curious DO NOT go into the club because there is
a chance you will run into the devil himself.
In the hotel there are people who rent out rooms and live there year round, we met a guy there named Dre and he showed us where the liquer store was and fended off homeless people for 20 bucks and a pack of cigarettes. Make sure you bring cash and treat a couple brotha's to a 40oz. and some vodka. The rooms are okay but the couch was soiled, the window was broken, the smoke detector was ripped off the wall and the T.V. was broken. A great
hotel in the greatest city in the world!!!!!

DETROIT!!!!! REPRESENT!!!!"

LOL

come to think of it - I think that's where the All Access party was at

Here's another one

"This is the most disgusting place I ever stayed, and I am far from a
soccer mom (see previos post). This place is absolutely disgusting. I lived on the streets of the Bronx, homeless for 3 years before putting myself
together and I can say, honestly, that this is the worst place I ever
stayed at in my life. The manager even offered me a complimentary night,
and I still left a day early. You need to be buzzed into the elevators
(FROM THE LOBBY!!!) to keep out homeless people. There were bloodstains on the ironing board, the carpets were wet and moldy, the bathrooms had pubic hair everywhere, along with wet, dirty towels. When I informed the manager (this is just the tip of the iceberg-email me for ictures I took in case I ended up in court to get my money back AND so I can warn people without a libel suit) she told me "good help is hard to find" yet 2 blocks away is a Holiday Inn and MGM Grand that my fellow travellers loved. SHe then put me
in the "suite" which was just as bad.

Steer clear of this place."

quite an endorsement

MEK