i was at twilo on friday for jeff mills. it was my first time hearing mills
spin, so i can't comment on how he compared to other times. but i wasn't blown
away, and he didn't come up to the hype ( but hype's about hyperbole, and not
reality).
i felt he had stretches of being simply good, interspersed with moments of sheer
frenzied brilliance. at the end of his set he stopped the music, and after a
moment of silence let 'strings of life' come in. it was fantastic hearing the
track on the twilo sound system. and the old school heads clearly stood out in
the crowd by their screaming.
i didn't expect too much because he was playing at twilo. we turned up at 3.30
to avoid the enormous line. the club was too packed for dancing, with most
people standing around on the dance floor.
for the majority of the twilo night friday crowd sasha and digweed are at the
limits of their musical tastes, so a pumelling from jeff mills left them a
little dumfounded as to when they were meant to wave their hands in the air.

everybody sounds like crap at twilo--it's commerical clubbing, their is never
any vibe, and the sound system is so domineering that it makes all the djs end
up sounding the same. richie hawtin on a sunday night, and laurent garnier about
three years ago are the only decent sets i've heard.

that being said, the upstairs lounge at twilo on a wednesday is another matter
altogether. elliot taub(aka ulysses) brought out rolando a month or two back,
and it was a blinder of a night. and he's booked claude young for later this
month.

james

Adam Shore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 03/14/2000 11:32:32 AM