> They are
> good enough to fool experts (composers and professors of music)

Just a little corolary here - EMI fools pros much better in certain types of
emulation than it does in others.  Interestingly, trained musicians can
usually spot EMI's Bach more often than, for example, EMI's Chopin.  You
might think it would be the other way, around, since Bach adheres more
strictly to certain sets of quantifiable rules of architecture than Chopin
(you can find classes in Bach-style counterpoint much more often than you
can in Chopin-style piano writing, for example.)  But I think it might be
the very nature of an "anything goes" approach in Chopin that makes
deviations from the norm much more easy to be fooled by.
This brings me to my next point....

> In my opinion, and based purely on the above, software such as EMI could
not
> produce great techno because of the priority given to the characteristics
of
> the sounds used (especially where effects and "found" samples are
> concerned), rather than the rules of musical theory behind their
> arrangement.

I'm not sure that's entirely true.  First of all, plenty of techno adheres
quite strongly to some version of common-practice tonality.  It's often very
easy to find key centers and even passages of functional harmony (V-I
progressions, for example, at both the local and large-scale levels, abound
in minimal house/tech-house.)
Secondly, there are certainly timbral characteristics that we've come to
associate with various forms of techno - the noisy filtered glitch of Basic
Channel and the 303 squelch of acid, to name just a few.  And there's plenty
of software ALREADY that can do complex and nearly realtime analysis and
resynthesis of audio.  It doesn't "know" what it's hearing, of course, but
it can mimic and vary it very convincingly.  I think it's only a matter of
time before computers become more independently creative and I don't see
such a shift as negative at all.
People will never drop out of the equation entirely.  Don't forget - we make
music because we enjoy it.  No matter how good the technology gets, we'll
never have computers do our enjoying for us :)

2 more cents,
Dennis DeSantis
www.mp3.com/vanderrohe