so I went and saw Derrick May dj here in sydney a coupla nights ago.

I thought it was so so. (any syndeysiders who attended and disagree please
jump in - it could have just been me)

i think for a dj you need one of two things to set u apart from the crowd -
either the cool records you have that no one else does or the way you play
records (ie. technical skills). Really cool djs have both.

sure derrick played a few classics like Dr Love and Mighty real, and Jaguar
and red planet and climax but it was all kind of played in a boring way, a
little bit of eq work and otherwise smooth mixing - i've seen him four times
and this was easily the worst.

my friend and fellow valued list member e,r gave me this burn cd of derrick
on wjlb detroit back in 88 - fuckin crazy !- three decks, doubles of every
record, beat juggling, acid house mixed with todd terry , liasons
dangereuses, eddie grant, salsoul disco, kms - he didn't hold back in those
days.

why does he now?

is it cause he's 40? is it cause he can't be assed?

same with jeff mills - I've got these wizard tapes of him in the late 80's -
again 3 decks - doubles of eveything egyptian lover to beasties to p.e. to
adonis to model 500 to prince all in 10 minutes. I know he used to record
those shows on slow speeds and then pitch them up for the playback on air.
but now jeff is a little boring too - where's the diversity, where's the
skill gone; detroit????

i know they play long sets compared to their old radio slots (which were
probably like an hour long) but I know they can do it - i mean everytime I
hear claude young play; one could ring out his shirt and pants to replace
the 10kgs of body weight he lost during his 2 hour set because he plays like
fucken madman - scratching with his forehead and not letting 4 bars pass
without some sort of beat juggle or scratch trick.

whats wrong with me?

rc