> An outfit called Phase II in the late 80s/early 90s, had substantially the
> same members

Most famously, Reachin'. From around the same time check out their other
work on labels like Quark "If You Should Need A Friend", Movin' (check
Before The Storm's "I Got The Music" and aforementioned Phase II "Reachin'")
or Easy Street (my favourite Blaze track from this era's In-Sync feat Jerry
Edwards' "Sometimes Love").

> in collaboration with Dave Lee (who one could say is a well-known 'Brit
Fad
> freak', but I wouldn't dream of it ;o). The rest of the tracks were mostly
> by Blaze under different names. I can post details Weds.

Dave Lee (aka Joey Negro), I think, is about as far removed from a fad freak
as you can get! I don't know of anyone as deep in the disco spirit as this
man. Sure, he's had his pop hits, but this man is disco through and through.
Success or no.
Check out his excellent Sunburst Band releases on his own label Z, or many
of his wicked remakes.

> I've come across the names Hedge, Milan, Herbert so often on 'anonymous'
> disco-house records from the early '90s, I've almost stopped noticing.

Far from "anonymous disco house", Blaze are, if any group are, the most
deserving of a chapter to themselves in the big ol' book o' house, from the
90s. Check out any of their classic work for Shelter, Funky People, Simplex,
Area Code ("Love For You" never leaves my bag). Their production of Debbie
Pender's "Movin' On", alongside fellow New Jersey musicians, Smack and Kerri
Chandler, helped define that UK garage sound (like it or no). Check out the
comps on Easy Street, Blaze Productions vols 1 & 2 to see how massive they
were in
the 90s. Those signature Moog solos on "Moonwalk" and others are far from
"anonymous disco" :) A closer analogy would be with "That's The Way OF The
World" era EW&F, I reckon.

Funnily enough, Blaze themselves are probably entirely unaware of their
influence. They admit to knowing hardly anything about contemporary house
music (KDJ? who's that?) beyond what they get at the Shelter. Or so said
Timmy Regisford. Apparently they have a massive loft studio in New York,
which they rarely get out of.

Oh, and their Motown album was heralded by Motown execs - after they dropped
them! - as one of the best 20 albums (I think) that the label had released!

Of course, Blaze didn't stop making fine music in the 90s! They're at it
more than ever now.

Jonny.