Whoa. So 2 weeks ago I saw Stewart Walker and Shawn Rudiman in DC. Now, I get
to see The Kooky Scientist. I kind of feel like I've seen techno done
brilliantly live 3 times.

Fred used Ableton Live to do most of the sounds, with a few of his mysterious
black boxes.   Working from an original set of loops and samples, it was
a seamless piece that lasted over an hour -- the whole idea of tracks
is broken down -- rather Fred plays extended moods.  He has a knack for
toying with audience response, always holding a mix as long as it feels good.
So while he varies percussion, synth sounds etc throughout the mix there's
really no delimiter on 'tracks.' Nearly any arbitrary 10 minute slice
of what he did could be considered a track, but the smooth way new sounds
creep into the mix really plays with a listener's sense of time.  Perhaps
the best way to say it is that Fred played one banging techno track that
just happened to be 75 minutes long, and interesting all the way through.

Opening was DJ Redeyez from the Quad Cities, who played a fierce techno set,
flawless as usual.  Why does nobody believe me when I tell them there
are kids in Iowa who could go anywhere in the world and rock the house?
He played a relentless, emotional mix of hard techno and got people moving
early.

After Redeyez, Vince Woolum played some deep drum and bass with Juan and
Austin of the committee on the microphone.  I thought it was a great idea --
the Committee MCs are becoming polished performers, and they were
performing stuff they'd rehearsed with Vince, so it was like a really high
energy hip hop set, to top drum & bass tracks.  They're talking about touring
around the midwest -- book them ;-)

Thanks to all the Rotation crew -- Michelle, Darian, Jeremy, Matt, Dan (who
did video) Mike, George for putting on a great show.  The video was sweet --
from the large screen abstracts to the live video of Fred Giannelli,
glowing in a Blue Light. He really looked like a scientist at work.

And thanks to the Iowa folks who really came out to support the event, and
showed great enthusiasm.  I don't normally associate techno this agressive
with a deep vibe, but for me tonight felt deep.