Festival History / 1980-2001 http://www.detroitjazzfest.com/
Takes place during the labor day WE.

"The Detroit Jazz Fest was conceived as an effective means to combat the challenges facing the city in the late 1970s. Its creators believed that this world-class cultural event would bring both people and positive media attention to downtown Detroit, which was suffering from dwindling populations, businesses and visitors.

From its birth in 1980, the festival attracted hundreds of artists and
hundreds of thousands of visitors to Hart Plaza, Detroit's beautiful riverfront park, each year. The combined effect of the outstanding programming, great family activities, unsurpassed educational offerings and exceptional setting resulted in an international reputation for excellence.

In 1994 this legacy and all it meant to the area was endangered when its founder, Detroit Renaissance, refocused on its core mission of economic development. Special events like the jazz festival would no longer be a part of the southeast Michigan community life unless other organizations adopted them.

Detroit's Renaissance president, Robert E. McCabe (also known as the Godfather of Detroit Jazz), approached Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts, a non-profit historical theatre in downtown Detroit, urging them to take on this massive, but rewarding project. The artistic tradition and significance to the community motivated the trustees to add the festival to Music Hall's annual line-up of theatre, dance, music, family and comedy presentations."

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: marc christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, marc christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC: Lester Kenyatta Spence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jongsma, K.J." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "'313@hyperreal.org'" <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] Interesting Indeed
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:18:30 -0500

hey when IS that jazz festival?

I saw dizzy gillespy (sp?) there when I was a kid and would
 like to go back for some live jazz

:)

-Joe

Indeed, though *most* of what you've said is correct, the
 first point -- that the name is inconsequential -- is the
 only one under real question.

let's not forget that the other big 3-day festival (jazz,
 you know, during whichever one of those labor day/memorial
 day weekends isn't in may and is in september, right?)
 built an *enormous* international reputation, and
 generated almost as much foreign tourism to detroit, and
 almost as many festival attendees, as the DEMF did in its
 first year.

and what is that festival called now?  i can't remember
 anymore, now that it's not montreaux.  i mean, i'm serious
 -- no one knows what the name is.  but ask anyone
 connected to detroit's rather limited tourism industry
 (with the exception of the boileau dude, right?) and
 they'll tell you that the lack of the name hurt
 international tourism for the jazz fest.  at least for the
 first two years.

and, BTW, let's not forget that teh way the freep article
 was written, May gets only six or seven words to give his
 framework for the suit.  and any six or seven words that
 end and begin with the possibilty of the DEMF being bought
 by a foreign concern are gonna sound like the rantings of
 someone who's a little paranoid, or just into getting
 promotion.

until you remember what happened to that other festival.
  you know. whatever its name is now -- i can't remember.

cheers,
-marc

At 10:42 AM -0500 3/11/02, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>the name is rather inconsequential.
>
>the city of detroit owns hart plaza
>
>the city of detroit fronts the money for the festival (it
 is later paid