> I'm currently
> discovering there is more to the genre than Abba and Boney M, so I'd
> appreciate recommendations for comps, albums... especially stuff like
> Salsoul Orchestra

On disco and how it's affected electronic music, Patrick Adams from NY had
incorporated a lot of electronics and moog sounds and 'atmospheric electronics'
into his stuff, definitely a producer that has influenced a lot of people in
electronic dance music.  I've heard a lot of producers namecheck his records,
including Danny Wang. Check out his work on Patty Duke - Cloud One. This was
recently repressed on Sound of New York and shouldn't be too hard to find.

If you want a full compilation of this style, check out "Disco Juice" on P&P
records, (a disco label run by Patrick Adams of 'cloud one' fame and Peter
Brown) for that late 70's/early 80's electronic funky style of wild disco.
It's a great compilation overall, "Dance Freak" by Chain Reaction will get a
room moving from the needle drop, the beginning is wild and the track just
takes off like a rocket.  Also a track by Paper Doll is on there.   Dusty
Groove in Chicago does a good job of stocking these as they are re-issued,
http://www.dustygroove.com/

Of course, disco never died in Chicago, you can hear it on about 3 radio
stations at any given moment... and DJ hot mixes of it on weekend nights,
despite what they tried to do to it at Comiskey Park in '79. Who's having the
last laugh now....  if you've never seen video clips of that scariness check
out this one with commentary from Chic's Nile Rogers --
http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/chictribute/video/sidor/chicago.html

Also there is some stuff by disco/freaky future funk stuff by The Undisputed
Truth that is pretty good, a lot of these tracks have been heavily sampled by
house and even techno producers.  Also Lakeside were very commercially
successful (and were sampled to death by Hip Hop artists) but for me that is a
great crossover example of good electronic synth-funk-meets-disco era.  "It's
All The Way Live" and the epic "Fantastic Voyage" come to mind...

peace,
Matt MacQueen