I think it's too cynical to say that Luke is doing it for 'the money'. I
think there is a wide perception that techno - or more importantly, what is
known as 'techno', ie 'hard music' - is in need of a rebirth and it seems
that 'techno' artists as diverse as Slater and Stacey Pullen and Jeff Mills
are going in different directions, even Juan Atkins/Model 500 with that
cyber era R&B song Rain. Slater's work has personality in it. I am not a fan
of this new work (though I loved Wireless), but I respect what he is trying
to do. He's now signed to Mute as opposed to Novamute too.