I notice that everyone who is pro-PA seem to be producers themselves. So
the question becomes, are we discussing the merits of live PAs as an
audience member (who is presumably there to be entertained) or as a
performer (who is there for more 'egotistical'- though not in a bad way,
reasons)

Please keep in mind that I am not anti-PA. But I have definately had more
amazing nights with DJs.

There are definately some stigmas attached to PAs. I remember at the Area
616 party, there was a live PA by a group called Bios, who went on after
Surgeon and before Jeff Mills. I can't tell you how many eyes rolled when
we realized that we were going to have to sit though a live PA (by a group
we didn't know- no less) before getting to the reason we were really there
(Mills). Well I was happy to report the next day that Bios rocked. So
there are exceptions to every rule.