when people find out that i dj, it's not uncommon that they say they don't
like dance music. i then ask where they've been dancing, what clubs, what
djs. they usually reply that they don't go dancing, they just listened to
dance music at a friends place, on the radio etc.
that's when i point out that it's called dance music, not 'sitting on your
ass at home' listening music.
sure you can listen to it at home, but the place it makes sense, and the
place to judge it, is on a dancefloor. you can send a dance floor into
convulsions with just an 808 rhythm track. put that on the home stereo and
most people will think it sounds dull repetitive and boring.

and that's why i'm calling it dance music. just try shooting me.

one of the major problems with comtemporary dance music is that a lot of it
is actually made for listening, not dancing. there's a bigger market for
record companies making listening music. i'm referring to all the crap mix
cds, like the global series  etc.
james