>John Williams also collaborated with Dale Lawrence on Graviti, on the
>first Theorem LP on Plus8.
>It was one of the strongest tracks on that album.

                John and I made music together as a single entity
                from the late 80's well into the 90's.  We developed
                our musical tastes/styles together and bounced ideas
                off of each other like mad.  The level of experimentation
                was high.  We pushed each other to new levels-- I don't
                think I would have progressed to the level I'm at
                today without those years spent in the studio together.
                We quickly learned to anticipate what the other's next
                move would be--like mind reading.  Sometimes we made
                tracks without any gear present.  Real syncopation.

                We moved downtown into the same lofts so we could work
                together whenever we wanted.  Some nights I would go
                to sleep since I had to work early the next day or
                something-- I would wake up around 8am and he would
                still be in the studio-- just thumping, with headphones
                on.  I remember one night he kicked out 4-5 finished
                tracks, and they were all amazing. (we had just discovered
                the graphical sequencing interface of cubase instead of the
                text based sequencing we had been doing on the apple IIe
                for years--it was like the wheel had just been reinvented--
        "amazing!!
we can actually *see* what we're doing!!!")

                John had many brilliant ideas, and made good use of
                the time he had in the studio.  We would still be
                working together today, except now he is married and
                has two children-- time is sparse for him so I had to
                go solo.  I haven't gone into the studio with anyone
                ever since.  (though that might change very soon)

                Graviti was a result of some of the last tracks John
                and I worked on together before moving on.
                I miss those days...

http://th.m-nus.com/nano.html  <-- real audio here --

                He has been building his studio up again.
                Point blank:  I wish he had more gear.  If he had
                the equipment that some of these big name fools had
                he would be blowing our minds.  If there are any
                producers out there that have so much gear that they
                don't know what to do with it, they should lend it
                to John, he can make better use out of a Boss
                Dr.Rhythm than most people can do with an MPC2000...

>I have also heard a
>bit of gossip that he has a couple mixes floating around for a TH remix
>project, but I think Dale might be the guy to ask about this.

                I am rounding up people I am interested in doing
                collaborations with for the THX project and John is
                definitely on that list (as well as a few people
                on *this* list. :)  These tracks do not exist yet,
                but hopefully we'll be able to get into the studio
                together sometime soon.  Right now I have only
                finished the THX collaboration with Swayzak, due
                out in a month.

                In the meantime, John is working on putting together
                a compilation cd of detroit artists for the Fam zine
                and I donated one of my unreleased mp3's to that
                effort, though I'm not yet sure when it is due for
                release.

                Dale