i think it comes down to the fact that
pop acts *individually* are separated
from the common person level and our small
industries: shania twain, puff daddy,
backstreet boys, etc--each one of
these acts is like a business onto
themselves: they've got their own
pr people, handlers, hairdressers,
trainers, etc, etc, etc, literally
hundreds of people that work directly
with them. 313 "stars" such as theorem
and aril brikha are humans, down to earth
people just like us
(ie. they're not "superstars" with
huge entourages) in that they have
dayjobs, BUT they're also extremely
talented in the music department and
thus creating music we love. a backstreet
boy is a backstreet boy 24/7, for example.
he don't go to no dayjob and *then* be
a backstreet boy in his free time, he don't
have to do his laundry, mow the lawn,
pay any bills, etc. whereas someone like
dale "theorem" lawrence, *has* a dayjob,
does all the life things on his own (laundry,
dishes, rent paying, etc) and does his
wonderful music in his *spare time*. he's
on the same level as us, not separated
by many many layers like pop stars.
so it's two different worlds. just as pop
stars are "larger than life" and about
as unreal as you can get (look at shania
twain for example, there's tons of women
doing country music and any *one* of them
could have turned into a "phenomenon" like
here, BUT it's not going to happen to more
than one or two country musicians, so going
from obscurity to shania twain status is
akin to winning the lottery in the music
industry), whereas "our"
313 "stars" are *very* real and very human.
and they are where they are because of
TALENT, and not because they've been
prefabricated, beeen created to "fill a niche",
"cater to a audience", etc. next time you're
doing your laundry yourself, think, "hey,
dale lawrence and aril brikha also do their
own laundry". you know shania twain,
the backstreet boys, puff daddy, et al
ain't doing their own laundry! andrew duke :)