Just as I was about to post this report I had a call inviting me to catch a
spur-of-the-moment secret gig in Melbourne for E-Smoove (Chicago) and Tony
Wilson (NY/Miami). It was at this tiny club. I had never heard of it before.
There would be room for no more than 200. It was really tucked away - in
some grimy alley. The night itself was dope. I was able to hear the new
Masters At Work record, Latin Lover, with Stephanie Mills. Yeah!

But back to *my hero* Stacey Pullen.

Well, I caught up with the Kosmic Messenger Saturday night in Melbourne and
it was a spiritual encounter for me! I felt rather down and tired at the
start of the night but went home feeling elevated. Stacey has the gift of
healing, y'see.

Anyway, Stacey's gig was the third in Gasp Entertainment's Innovator series.

He played a techno/house set but worked in a lil' jazzy material, Latin,
drum 'n' bass and retro-funk.

At one stage he played Basement Jaxx's Red Alert.

Stacey is a really extrovert, whimsical DJ who likes to get his groove on
and even lip synch and do air trumpet (!) along to the odd track. Those who
are familiar with him will know what I mean!

And talk about the sex/music connection, the way Stacey plays is so charged.
You gotta wonder what he's thinking at times!

Stacey played for over 5.5 hours as the crowd just wouldn't let him go.
After 5 hours they hollered out for him to do more. This happened a couple
of times, even though the house lights had come on. It all finished around 9
am.

The house was packed, too, which is incredible as this was Grand Final
Weekend in Melbourne (Aussie Rules football is *the* national sport here)
and there were any number of big gigs on, including Steve Bicknell @
Rotation IV and Tony Wilson/E-Smoove @ Freakazoid (Melbourne's cult house
club). I know the latter did really well. I reserve judgment on Bicknell.
Rotation was no doubt a good event overall but I personally just don't think
Bicknell is all that.

Innovator really kicked off with Phunk de Sonique's 1/2 hour live set. These
are three Melbourne school friends (now at uni) who have an affinity with
the many techno sounds of Detroit. Their stuff sounds like some of the new
Transmat recordings. Very good. I'm proud of them.

Stacey came on at 3 am and did his unwavering set.

Afterwards he signed autographs. Folks were all over the cat.

The promoter had set out to create a night in keeping with the Detroit
ethos. I *think* he is growing conscious that some folks wonder why is it
that in this country many promoters tend to use bang-bang types to open for
those Detroit (or Chicago) guys whose music takes an altogether different
trajectory. Hence (big-name Melbourne techno DJ) Jeff Tyler span a slightly
more experimental set than usual and Phunk de Sonique played ahead of Stacey
to establish the right harmonious vibe.

The crowd was more mature than the usual ravers. I spotted two glowsticks
and no dummies. These are my rather snobbish barometers of 313
appreciability. Keep that shit for Judge Jules. (He-he.)

Stacey attended a little meet and greet for industry types around 11. I
chatted to him.

It was kinda funny. While were talking this bewildered girl comes up and
says, "Excuse me, are you Stacey Pullen?" And he points to me and says, "No,
she is." Like, I wish I could do what he does.

I asked Stacey about Kid Rock's claim to be The Wizard's rapper, as I
remembered Stacey used to tape those shows growing up, and he expressed
surprise. He doesn't remember no rappin'. So growing evidence would suggest
that Kid has it coming to him for frontin'.

I mentioned the Telex remix as one of many things of his I loved. Stacey
said he thought that this was his best mix but added that he was also proud
of his Jean Michel Jarre one from four years ago that never saw release.

Stacey says we ain't heard nothing from him yet as his new material will
take it to the next level.

The promoter has heard some and assures me it's awesome.

Afterwards I couldn't help but notice Stacey's carefully applied black nail
polish. The nail polish looked flyer than fly on these small, elegant hands.
I know it is a small, seemingly trivial detail but these things say a lot
about the way folks express themselves (I mean what other guy would wear
nail polish?). The fact is he's very into his individualism, is Stacey.

The day before (er, that's Friday) Stacey did Club Lunch, a live mix show by
DJs, on Melbourne's community station Kiss FM. He did it from the city's
Sanity store (oh yes, Sanity! :) ).

I missed Stacey's slot and want it real bad on tape. (If anyone in Melbourne
can help, please e-mail me so I can offer bribes.)

Peace