Lance:
>I have several pure science records from a few years
>ago that i still enjoy from back in the day where i was
>buying almost everything from the As It Is group of
>labels - Bluespirit, Mosaic, Blueprint, Surface, Schatrax,
>Cheap Knob Gags, Alien Funk Movement, Solid
>Grooves, Re-hab, Stimulus, Fracture, Virtual Earth, etc...
>Several years ago As It Is really had the a great sound
>going but they have since disappeared. Anybody know
>what happened to them?

Mark Little was the man behind As It Is (and he played a blinding set at
the first ever Radius we did, incidentally) and although As It Is is no
more, he is running a new distribution company called Shady Acorns. The
main stuff he's focusing on is Tony Senghore's various labels: Anonym,
Gung(eligiung), Smuts, Wack!, Disco Duck and so on.

As far as the other old As It Is labels you mentioned go: Bluespirit has
mutated into Bluetrain; Mosaic, Blueprint, Surface and Stimulus are all
still going strong through Ideal; Schatrax is no more (Mark is doing Shady
Acorns and Josh has moved to Barcelona); Cheap Knob Gags is no more
(although Aubrey is considering starting it up again but calling it Silly
Willy Jokes!); not sure about Alien Funk Movement; Solid Groove and
Textures are now going through Intergroove (along with Aub's low-key Super
Disco Fakes label), and I think Virtual Earth has vanished, although the
guys are still active(ish)...

They were one of the best distributors out there a few years ago, doing it
for all the right reasons and putting out a consistent stream of quality
underground techno/house. It's interesting to see where everyone involved
has ended up...

Cheers,

Tom

      tom churchill