From: Gary Girard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 3:50 AM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: [313] Hawtin & Magda

Entertainment UK Limited
Registered Office: 243 Blyth Road, Hayes, Middlesex UB3 1DN.
Registered in England Numbered 409775

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
may
contain confidential information.  Unless stated to the contrary, any
opinions
or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the official
view of
 the company.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system.
Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents
any other person.  Thank you for your co-operation.
Hi there,
    haven't posted to the list for quite some time as I've had very little
to say about Ritchie Hawtin

That's a cue for a Richie debate if ever I heard one : )

I caught both Magda & Hawtin's set's at The End last w/e. I went in
open-minded
as I'd never heard Magda before and had only heard Hawtin about 4 times
previously.
 After all the debate about weather or not Magda can DJ I found that she is
quite good at mixing (no mistakes) but I didn't really enjoy her selection.
didn't know any of the tracks but they seemed to be average to me ("Dry" was
the
term a friend used.)
 Hawtin played a 6 hour set. To be honest I found it quite boring. I've
enjoyed
previous sets from him but this just seemed to be one minimal track blended
smoothly into another minimal track.  There seemed to be a lack of variety,
nothing that really stood out.
 Where was the madness? Where was the darkness? How about some deck skills?
What
about the funk? It was all too serious (cold & clinical.) I think Professor
Hawtin needs to spend less time in the studio and maybe even go out for a
dance
one night to remember what it's like to be the other side of the DJ booth.
 I'm going to hear him again at Atomic Jam alongside Luke Slater this month
so
he's got another chance to impress, I just hope he can prove me wrong.

GG