At the small end of the scale I think it really depends on the label's
business model and (hopefully) what works out best for both parties.

Things I have seen are (and not mutually exclusive)

* copies of the work instead of $
* outright payment - although I would never advise anyone to 'sell'
but instead, to 'licence'
* royalties from collecting agencies
* a cut of the $ from sales

All of these things are subject to manufacturing and/or distributing
costs as well. (well you need to work out what you want - a
distribution deal, or a manufacturing deal, or both....?)

I have seen some pretty bad contracts from indie labels so I wouldn't
just automatically assume that an indie label will give you a better
deal...

This is just some general advice. I'm sure people on the list have had
more specific experience and can enlighten you further!

Cheers

Mel

ps i 'm sure I've missed a few things here but sleepiness rules for now.