its hurting everywhere. first record time got rid of the dance room, now the ferndale location is closing completely. :(

i dont buy records anyways...

----- Original Message ----- From: "kent williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "list 313" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: (313) Amato's Demise

My local record store completely dropped dance vinyl, because no one
was buying it.  Least of all me; but I've been through several years
of reduced financial resources, and after the first three or four
thousand records something really has to be amazing -- and unavailable
in other formats -- for me to consider it.

During the peak for Dance Music in the US -- roughly 1996-2001 -- the
whole industry got really sloppy and lazy because they could maintain
cash flow without being careful about business practices.  Dietrich at
Complete in Brooklyn is still going strong, because in addition to his
musical talents and skills, he has a real head for the business.  He's
also willing to work more or less alone in a crappy office in darkest
Brooklyn.

And what about Submerge?  You may have to step around the mower and
the rake to visit the store, but they're still going strong.  Again,
they emphasize humilty, hard work and common sense business practices.

All of these distributor failures are actually a good opportunity for
smart people to get into the game.  You won't be able to put any sex
toys on your payroll, or stuff your nose with cocaine, but if you make
the connections with labels and stores, there will always be a market
for vinyl.