"Electro" has different meanings from place to place, as well. When I was living in Paris, "electro" was used as a rather broad genre label that usually contrasted with "minimal(e)". "Electro" included tracks that filled the mid-frequency range with distortion and/or synths, vocals, and a thick & dirty sound. "Minimal" was a similarly broad genre label that included pretty much anything coming out of the Berlin & Cologne/Köln scenes (Kompakt, Perlon, you get the idea). The sound of minimal seemed to centre on tracks that had sparse textures, punchy bass and detailed, crystalline patterns in the high-freq's--but also extended out to tracks that I think would get labelled progressive, "classic" techno, or even trance elsewhere.

I think in N. America (or at least the Toronto - Windsor / Detroit - Chicago corridor, which I know well) we have much narrower definitions of both of these labels. When I went out clubbing in France, I found I was constantly being surprised by what was being called "minimal" and "electro." I think Daft Punk can fall into "electro" in France and, ironically, I think you would surprise and disappoint a lot of people if you played Aux88 at an "electro" night in Le Rex Club or La Scène Bastille or Batofar (presuming they're still open).

On the other hand, "electro" seems like a genre that is still alive in France, in a way that is less so here in N. America. I get the impression that electro on this continent is a thing that has already happened, that we remember and feel nostalgic for...

cheers,

LMGM