kent williams a écrit :
I don't think anything is gained by being purist about a term like
'Electro.' Though if you're talking to a Detroit Techno fan it does
have a very specific meaning.  Daft Punk aint it.

Though Electro is by no means an exclusively Detroit phenomenon.  It
describes a particular beat pattern and emphasis on bass, which goes
back through early hip hop and Miami Bass.  I wish my girl Miche' was
on the list because she started DJing in New Orleans in the mid 80s
and has hundreds of records covering non-Detroit Electro Style.

As you said it's characterized by specific drum machines and synth sounds and when you know what to look for it's one of the easiest genre to recognize. Funny thing is that the other day a guy in my family that's not into electronic music was asking me if Daft Punk was electro. I had a hard time explaining it was not, but go explain
to joe random the subtelties of specific drum machines etc :)