On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Greg Earle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So JT, in 2 different posts you're basically admitting that you
>  didn't go to the festival either last year or the year before?
>
>  If so, you've automatically lost your right to bitch about it.

incorrect.

>  Detroit, to me, is not a festival.
>
>  Detroit is a pilgrimage to Mecca.
>
>  Detroit is about reuniting with good friends, the vast
>  majority of whom I have met through this list.
>
>  It's about eating in Greektown or Mexicantown.
>
>  It's about (313) list BBQs at Dennis Donohue's old place.
>
>  Or at Ian & Linda's.
>
>  It's about going to Record Time.
>
>  It's about cruising around Belle Isle.
>
>  It's about going to see what's new at the Heidelberg Project.
>
>  It's about peeking in the foyers of those beautiful old Deco
>  buildings downtown.
>
>  And it's about the surreal experiences, the Only In Detroit
>  moments.  Like coming out of Juan's crib at 6:00 AM and thinking,
>  "F--k, I was just in Juan Atkins' basement."  Or being in a gallery
>  in Eastern Market and seeing couples freaking on the dancefloor.
>  To Rolando.
>
>  Yeah.  Let's see you get that kind of experience at
>  <insert some generic Euro festival here>

note that none of this has to do with the actual festival. the music
quality for the festival keeps going down.

>  You can always find more good music than you have time to see
>  (hello, afterparties?) anyways.  I spend far more time going
>  to hear music in Detroit than I do when I'm in, say, Barcelona.
>  When I hear you all bitch and moan about the festival having
>  gone to the dogs (er, candy ravers), you just make me laugh.

im only laughing at your haircut.

>  The bottom line for me is that I am firmly convinced that you
>  cannot possibly have more fun than you can have in Detroit
>  over Memorial Day weekend.  Paxahau or no Paxahau.

unquestionably this is possible for those of us like the very small
number of people on this list. for other people who dont know about
the extras, they are never going to find out because they can get a
better festival lineup closer to home with more advance preparation.
so what good is that? i like chilling with the heads, but surely it is
better to actually spread the experience around.

>  Anyone who makes their decision to go or not go to Detroit
>  based on the festival lineup is, as my brother would say,
>  "Unclear on the concept".

of course they are, but the number of people who ARE clear on the
concept is very very small.

tom