I am a white girl who rides my bike every day during the summer, to
work, to the store, even to the bars and clubs.  I've never had a
problem, other than the ongoing hellos from people as I pass by, that
kind of freaked me out a bit at first because living in the UK,
especially in Liverpool, people don't tend to say hello to people they
don't know, but in Detroit, there is a strong sense of southern
hospitality, people say hello to one another as they pass by, in
elevators, on the streets, everywhere you go.

Just as in every other city, there are places you wouldn't want to
ride your bike, as it gets a bit dangerous, but during the daytime, I
tend to not worry where I ride, just after dark I try to be cautious.
People here do tend to bring there bikes into their apartments, so I'd
suggest speaking to your hotel to see if they have an inside storage
space for bikes.

Bike riding in Detroit has become more and more popular, as the gas
prices are very high.  I tend to see 4-10 bike riders a day at the
minimum in the summer and I work a 11-5, so I'm sure I miss the
majority of good biking hours.  It's a major city, so yes, you will be
riding amongst a lot of highrises and parking lots, but theres also
parks, the river walk, the graffitti mile (which will hopefully be
renovated enough by DEMF you can ride from the lake front to Eastern
Market).  Detroit's very spread out, so you shouldn't expect to ride
from downtown to Record Time Roseville for an outing, that would end
up being a 20+ mile journey roundtrip.  There are very cute
neighborhoods that are a good ride-through, such as Woodbridge, which
is about a 10 minute ride from Hart Plaza.

I'd suggest a guide, though, for anything your doing in the city,
especially if you've never been here before.  If your interested in a
bike tour around the city, I'd be willing to do a tour on the Saturday
from noon till 2.  Let me know.

Jodie