Heidelberg Project -- a great DIY folk art surreal outdoor junk
sculpture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg_Project

Fisher Building -- The Tower Peanuts Built.   The lobby is like a
secular art deco temple to capitalism.  A peak Detroit experience was
visiting Bill Van Loo's office, and going out onto a little balustrade
many stories up.  I was scared to death, and it was irresistable...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_Building

A ride along the River Rouge on Jefferson -- start about at East Grand
on Woodward and promenade west past the RenCen and out to River Rouge
(the town) or Ecorse... a depopulated urban wasteland west of
downtown.

Melodies and Memories -- Submerge is a great place to shop for techno,
but Melodies and Memories has a ton of stuff all over the stylistic
map.

Record Time -- My favorite store was in Hamtramck because it's on a
nice little High Street, but I think it's closed, and only the
Ferndale and Roseville stores remain.

Oh, and Google Street view has photographed much of Detroit!