Good points, Kw.

I guess I was focusing more on the classification stuff. You are
certainly right about those words being used to describe an approach
to production.  I guess I'm also drawing my own imaginary line between
the sort of disciplined minimal approach t o production you describe
versus the sort of minimal that's trendy nowadays. Here's samples of
something from I. A. Bericochea, which I think is pretty good minimal.
http://www.iabericochea.com/A.mp3   and
http://www.iabericochea.com/rojo.mp3   I'd consider that very
different than the stuff they are playing in Berlin, even if those
samples are from Minus releases (hehe).

Arturo

Arturo,i think both minimal and dub are named genres, but, above that,
minimal and dub are techniques, methods of music production. You can
hear minimal not only in techno, you can hear it in the philip glass
music, in some post-punk bands, steve reich music, and in many areas
of academic/modern music. Minimal is the way of the synthetic, the
reducing, the way of the minimal elements necessary for certain
expression due to intensify that expression or leave the receptor
totally in charge of the interpretation. Dub is style of reggae, yes,
but it's a studio technique before that. The use of effects, the focus
on the process, the concept of remixing, the producer turning into a
composer instead of a simple engineer. Dub techniques are responsable
for a revolution in the music production aesthetics. You can see dub
versions from Carl Craig songs, Hi-hop songs, Madonna songs, Stevie
Wonder songs, etc etc etc. When you have music made in layers, you
have dub.

Kw