Thanks for the info! It sounds like it could be a really special night. Looks like a few interesting parties that Sunday.

Scan 7/Shake/Steve Stoll/ESP/Sub Knight at Fusion, Bone/Alton Miller/Gary Martin/Aaron Carl at Warmth, and Marko Furstenberg, whose live dub techno set I really enjoy, at the beretta party.

Quoting U&I Design <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Yeah,

Alvin's recently reopened after being shut down for years.  It was
ultra famous for being THE spot for hip-hop, with Proof and the like
always being there.  They reopened about 8 months ago.

I went to a party there the first week of January for Andre of
Mahogani's birthday.  I've got a rather funny story from that weekend.
 I had a DJ in town from the UK, and we went for Andre's birthday and
had a really good time, Slum Village was playing and they did a total
jam session.  I got Alvin's to offer the UK DJ a slot the following
day doing a UK hip-hop/jazzy set, as he plays similar music to what
was being played on the Mahogani/Slum Village gig.

I didn't know this, but Sunday's are usually open-mic night, and it
tends to draw a very different type of crowd than the night before.
Hip-Hop Open-mics tend to get a bit rough in some spots.  Actually,
rough is a mild way to phrase it.  When we walked in, I was a bit in
shock, because it was totally not what we expected.  Completely
different energy than the night before.  This poor guy from the UK was
scared to death going up on the decks in front of one of the roughest
crowds I'd seen in Detroit in awhile. People were glaring and actually
growling at him.  He smoked all of his cigarettes before even going
on,so he asked me to run to the store while he was DJing.  I told him
I couldn't leave him cos they might rush the stage if they didn't like
his set. The look on his face was classic, but I was just being
realistic.  It is Detroit after all, and even though people are
normally very friendly, sometimes you walk into a room with intense
energy.  He played a wicked set though, and the crowd was actually
really feeling it.  It was an interesting experience for the both of
us.  I was actually happy he got to experience what its like to play
in a truly Urban Detroit venue with a very rough urban crowd.

Anyhow, basis of my story is that Alvin's is a historic spot.  If you
can manage to make it to the backstage area, check out all of the
writing on the walls.  I've also got some pics of Alvin's on my
facebook.  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=83910&id=841750482
The first few in the series are of the back room, we're there talking
with Malik Alston and a hip-hop guy who told us a story of how he's
had more friends die from shoot-outs than he's got alive right now.
Ice on the experience for the guy from the UK.  Very Detroit spot.
Very historic.  Def recommended, especially for UR.  Not sure how the
normal Sunday crowd is going to handle the change up though, but
actually it might be a really good thing, you might get to see some of
the true street dancers show up to this event.