Surely you've heard about the one-laptop-per-child initiative before?  I think
your initial response is probably the correct one.  Some people will actually
be so out of touch in a "let them eat cake" kind of way that they'll think that
providing every child in Africa is a realistic aim without the people of the
West waking up.  I don't think what's come out of it is a bad thing though - an
affordable machine with open source software for developing countries.  It's
just a question of how you might spend the money better isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$100_laptop

Disclaimer: I know hardly anything about the one-laptop-per-child initiative
and am neither defender nor critic, by all means discuss (OK it's OT but it's
interesting  ;-) but please don't put me in either role just 'cos I forwarded a
flyer about a Greek festival!