It's a little hard to believe this was the ninth year already.  The festival
has changed a lot, although the core elements are the same.  So, some
very brief comments . . .

In general, I thought the festival itself was significantly less exciting
and the afterparties generally better than last year.

Give Paxahau credit for really raising the game on staging, sound
and lighting.  And the show runs close to on time, which is nearly
a miracle.

On the other hand, the lineup is less and less adventurous.
I suppose Paxahau could reply that the box office numbers are the
real gauge regardless of what we all think.

I saw very few standout performances this year (although left early
and didn't see Carl Craig and many told me his set was excellent).
To be fair, for the first time ever I missed a full day (Monday),
not by design but other things came up.

Newcleus jammed on it and had a great time without taking themselves
too seriously, and the beats on the waterfront stage were potent.

I only saw the last 30 minutes of DBX.  I understand Dan himself
wasn't all that happy with it but the part I heard was really good.

Punisher again wins my hard-techno-set-of-the-fest award.  Nothing
fancy, she picks good solid tracks and really builds a set and draws
in the crowd (and takes what advantage is available in the appalling
acoustic nightmare of the garage).

As for the afterparties, Derek P killed it at the Works on Friday
night and Mike Servito likewise at No Way Back on Saturday,
and I loved the Aquanauts (Bileebob, Skurge and Nomadico)
at the UR show at Alvins -- technopunk with an attitude and a
grin.

Oh yeah, before I forget.

Moby, what part of "go away" don't you understand?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?template=zoom&Site=C4&Date=20080527&Category=ENT04
&ArtNo=805270349&Ref=AR

fh

PS Honorable mention to the Red Wings who shut out the
Penguins in two Stanley Cup games during the festival.