I've had the Sonys, cx300s and Shure E2C in the past and I have to say the CX400s I now have are probably better than all these.

The E2cs are nice (sound and build) but the way in which the cables go over the ears is a little fiddly.

robin...

The Shure E4c-N earphones arrived in the mail.  Though they are good
earphones, they don't really hold a candle to the Shure SE100s.

The Shure E4c-N has much more noticeable bass, but the mids and highs
aren't as crisp and clear as the SE100s.  Feeling disappointed and
thwarted, I decided to return the E4C-Ns and buy the SE100s once again.

This time, I experimented with the different earpads for the SE100 and
found the right one for my ear.  The increase in bass and overall
richness was immediate.  The bass now is very clear and I'm very
surprised that these earphones are able to produce some of the really
low bass in certain dubstep or techno tracks.

So my final assessment is that the Sennheiser CX300s and the Shure E4C-N

are pretty similar in quality, though the CX300s were a little less
expensive. Either of them would be a very good replacement for the Sony

MDR-EX71SL earphones.

However, the SE100s win the prize for clarity and richness!!!  It is
really worth paying the extra money for such a marked improvement in the

sound quality!! Making the effort to try the different earpads will pay

off when you find the ones that fit your ears in just the right way.