From: darnistle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 3:18 AM
To: 313
Subject: Re: (313) OT: earbud recommendations?

Update to this week-long drama:

The Shure E4c-N earphones arrived in the mail. Though they are good earphones, they don't really hold a candle to the Shure SE100s.

The Shure E4c-N has much more noticeable bass, but the mids and highs aren't as crisp and clear as the SE100s. Feeling disappointed and thwarted, I decided to return the E4C-Ns and buy the SE100s once again.

This time, I experimented with the different earpads for the SE100 and found the right one for my ear. The increase in bass and overall richness was immediate. The bass now is very clear and I'm very surprised that these earphones are able to produce some of the really low bass in certain dubstep or techno tracks.

So my final assessment is that the Sennheiser CX300s and the Shure E4C-N

are pretty similar in quality, though the CX300s were a little less expensive. Either of them would be a very good replacement for the Sony

MDR-EX71SL earphones.

However, the SE100s win the prize for clarity and richness!!! It is really worth paying the extra money for such a marked improvement in the

sound quality!!  Making the effort to try the different earpads will pay

off when you find the ones that fit your ears in just the right way.

{}0+>|

darnistle wrote:
Funny that this topic should come up at this time.  My favorite Sony
MDR-EX71SL earbuds  developed a short in the cord last week, so it was

time to buy another pair.  The last set lasted for more than two
years,
which is really good considering that I use them daily for hours at a time and am not as careful with them as I should be.

This time, I decided to try some other brands and took the plunge and
bought the Shure SE100s from a store in town.  At $100 it was
expensive,
but I was curious to see if there was any significant increase in
sound
quality.

The clarity and imaging were astounding!! Truly!! Listening to tracks I was well familiar with was like hearing them anew: all sorts of nuances I'd never heard before were suddenly very clear. The
earphones
also did an excellent job of blocking outside sounds.  I felt like I
was
in a wonderfully exquisite aural cocoon.

My only complaint about them was the lack of bass, even though I tried
pushing the earpads further in my ear.  It helped somewhat, but not as

much as I would have expected.  I thought to put on one of the
alternate
earpads to ensure a better fit, but had trouble getting the pads off.
didn't want to risk ripping the rubber cover since I wasn't sure if
I'd
keep the earphones.  I never got to experiment to see if using
different
earpads would help with the bass problem.

I convinced myself to return the earphones to the store because of the
bass issue, but the sheer clarity of the sound haunted me for days
after.
Instead, I bought a pair of Sennheiser CX300s, which sounded just as
good as my old Sonys. They aren't really sound isolating, but they deliver a good, even sound. No complaints at all. Problem is that those Shure earphones were SO good, I couldn't deny the massive difference in quality.

Now that my ears got a taste of the really good stuff, they weren't
havin' the Sennheisers, so I went online this evening and finally decided to buy the Shure E4c-N earphones today on Amazon.com ($89!!!),

since they got even better reviews than the ones I tried a few days
ago!
Assuming the E4C-N is as good as I hope it'll be, I'll probably keep the
Sennheiser earphones as a standby in case something happens to the
Shures.
{}0+>|

Frank Glazer wrote:
I'm in the market for some new earbuds for ipod listening on the train. It's been about a year since this subject was last mentioned on list, I checked the archives but thought an update wouldn't hurt. I want something very loud with strong, clear defined bass response. They need to block a significant amount of outside sound so that i don't have to hear chatter or rail noise. So what's everybody using for earbuds these days? I'm considering one of the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-E2c-n-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B000E5
GKW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221435680&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Vibe-Earbuds-Gunmetal-Black/dp/B000V5L5M
G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221436093&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER4S-Reference-Earphones/dp/B
000300Y9O/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3TBZ27N3IMN3O&colid=2ZPLTMQTI9
YUX

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-Earphones-Black/dp/B
000XPG2QI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221434596&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-IE-10-Professional-Reference-Monitors/d
p/B000JNNNBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1221436137&
sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE9850-Headphones-Advanced-Acoustics/d
p/B00176TEGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221435109&sr=1-1

or your recommendation under $175

Thanks in advance!