You know, as much as I absolutely love Morgan Geist's music and respect him as an artist, I don't see him as a total victim in his "anxiety stroll." A mutual friend of ours in Chicago told me about how he just wants to record music (not play shows) and how he's considering quitting music (same rant as the interview).

Well, he says in his interview that "Listening to music isn't an event anymore unless it's live." But he's not willing to play live. So, he thinks it's best for people to hear his music live (where they have to pay for the show!!) but he's not willing to give them that opportunity.

The whole history of music up until the 20th century was based off of musicians playing for an audience. Only since the advent of recordings was selling a copy of a performance even and option. Ask any successful band or DJ and they will tell you that playing shows is the only viable option for supporting yourself off music right now. I don't think this is totally a bad thing. It should be an honor to play for people who enjoy your music (like Morgan says, he feels lucky that people pay attention to his music).

Anyways, my point is Morgan Geist hasn't dropped a record in 11 years and doesn't want to play live- that's the root of his predicament. He has a great new record and *it's up to him* to make more music and play shows to get by financially. Or, as the original post said, take a break.
He's a talented, blessed guy, I'm sorry to hear him sound so unhappy.