I encountered a problem with replication service accounts in the process of
moving my one remaining very old (1.9.x) 389ds system to the new container.
This is likely a misunderstanding on my part about how password policies work,
so I'd appreciate any insights on this.

This system has two MMR instances and an ou=Accounts containing thousands of
user accounts. It uses a global password policy for the user accounts (there's
no subtree policy on ou=Accounts). As I did with a previous migration to 3.x, I
created a new ou, ou=Services,ou=Accounts, to hold the service accounts for
replication. When I tried to do the initial replication, it failed because the
source instance couldn't authenticate to the destination instance. I was seeing
weird messages like "inappropriate authentication", etc.

It occurred to me that maybe the issue had to do with the fact that this system
had a global policy set whereas the previous system was not using a global
policy. I tried removing the global policy and adding a subtree policy instead
to ou=Accounts and that solved the problem. So, questions:

- Is there a way to have a global password policy but not have it apply to a
particular ou?
- It appears that setting a subtree policy on an ou (ou=Accounts), does not
inherit to a subtree of that tree (ou=Services). Is that right?
- It's not clear to me what actually causes the global policy to be active.
Does it become active simply by changing any of its password attributes in
cn=config?