From: Mark Reynolds <marey...@redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2024 12:13
To: General discussion list for the 389 Directory server project.
<389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org>; Darby, Tim - (tdarby) <tda...@arizona.edu>
Subject: Re: [389-users] Re: [EXT] Re: Password policies and replication
service accounts

External Email

________________________________

On 8/26/24 1:18 PM, Darby, Tim - (tdarby) wrote:
Thanks, I'm reviewing what I did to see where this went wrong. I did supply
credentials for the service accounts.

I was referring to the entry you use in the replication agreement (typically
cn=replication manager, cn=config):

Supplier:

dn: cn=replication manager,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: inetUser
objectClass: netscapeServer
objectClass: nsAccount
cn: replication manager
uid: replication manager
userPassword:: e1BCS0RGMi1TSEE1MTJ9MTAwMDAkQ0c5N08xK2crMWZyU0czQkdhcjN6WTNqM2Y
 2eHEvMHEkdXlPTnhmdW43RUEycVBFcmtKMHdXVGtSUXNpL3VBbDVpQTNySHJkRFJZejZGZTdjcHpi
 SHYzRnRQNlJ0Nnl4a1dvTFJ6clJ3a1lnYk9mMmo1OSsyZHc9PQ==

dn: cn=darby,cn=replica,cn=dc\3Dexample\2Cdc\3Dcom,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: nsds5replicationagreement
cn: darby
nsDS5ReplicaRoot: dc=example,dc=com
nsDS5ReplicaHost: localhost
nsDS5ReplicaPort: 389
nsDS5ReplicaBindMethod: simple
nsDS5ReplicaTransportInfo: LDAP
nsDS5ReplicaBindDN: cn=replication manager,cn=config
nsDS5ReplicaCredentials: {AES-TUhNR0NTcUdTSWIzRFFFRkRUQm1NRVVHQ1NxR1NJYjNEUUVG
 RERBNEJDUmxObUk0WXpjM1l5MHdaVE5rTXpZNA0KTnkxaE9XSmhORGRoT0MwMk1ESmpNV014TUFBQ
 0FRSUNBU0F3Q2dZSUtvWklodmNOQWdjd0hRWUpZSVpJQVdVRA0KQkFFcUJCQUVqZlE0RzhhaHF5Rz
 dUN0F3Mmk3WQ==}14bMwBr/FBN6L1kPTBuyRA==

On the consumer side you must specify the bind that that can perform
replication updates in the replica configuration entry:

dn: cn=replica,cn=dc\3Dexample\2Cdc\3Dcom,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: nsds5Replica
cn: replica
nsDS5ReplicaRoot: dc=example,dc=com
nsDS5ReplicaBindDN: cn=replication manager,cn=config

Question about inheritance of subtree password policies: How do you see that it
has been applied to a subtree of a subtree? dsconf claims that there is no
subtree policy on ou=test,ou=accounts:

> dsconf -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w "xxxx"
> ldap://localhost:3389<http://ldap//localhost:3389> localpwp list
ou=accounts,ou=etc etc (subtree policy)

> dsconf -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w "xxxx"
> ldap://localhost:3389<http://ldap//localhost:3389> localpwp get
> "ou=test,ou=accounts,ou=etc etc"
Error: No password policy was found for this entry

Right, so anything under "ou=accounts,ou=etc" should have that local policy
applied to it.  It will only be listed under the the original subtree.  So this
all looks correct.  Please provide your password policy settings and describe
how it's not working as you expect:

    # dsconf slapd-INSTANCE localpwp get "ou=accounts,ou=etc"

Thanks,
Mark

Tim Darby
Systems Integration and Architecture | The University of Arizona |
tda...@arizona.edu<mailto:tda...@arizona.edu> |
they/he<https://diversity.arizona.edu/pronouns>