Hi,

It depends what you mean by shell.

IMO any "generic" function (methods, UI's) can be considered (may be part of) a
shell. Ideally as a component, so it can be easily moved from one application
to the other.

Example: a method that puts a CSV file into a 2D Array. Or a type ahead
component (as an alternative to popups or combo boxes). Or the progress bar
component provided by 4D.

The basic idea: do not invent the wheel each time, create reusable modules
instead; save time - nothing new.

The data browser component for example. It is a component and uses a few of the
functions of the utility component. The utility component itself can be used in
any host database and offers more than 200 generic methods. Most of them are
very basic, some are more sophisticated. My current personal favorite:
Uty_PrintListBox (well, could be improved, but anyway).

The data browser component could be used as a "classic" shell. It contains a
relatively powerful set of features to "browse" a database: search, sort, save
selections (as sets), UI based set operators, cross database navigation,
import/export functions, user based save of settings as JSON file (displayed
tables and fields, column width, sorted field, sort order, input form per table
etc.) and it also includes a sample of a generic subform that can be
implemented on an input form, that allows to move from one record to the other
(first, previous, next, last).

I would not want to start a new project (or take over an existing one) without
my components. To answer your question: IMO, the idea of a shell (or generic,
reusable functions) is still alive and relevant.

BTW: I published the latest version of the data browser (including utility
component) today:

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/AC4441C0C5384321AEB93A76C764FCD8W

As always: free and source (both components) included.

Best,

Olivier