We use a different approach to create fairly complex and large excel files
(.xlsx).

The use the PHP library PHPExcel (https://phpexcel.codeplex.com/). At first we
generate a PHP script using 4D code, than we start the generated script and
this script creates the Excel file in the end.  So we can use nearly all Excel
features.
The disadvantage is performance. Usually it needs 10 to 15 seconds to create a
rather complex file. A simple file needs no more than five seconds to create.
But the solution is very stable in use in our web application for years.

Regards
Lutz

--
Lutz Epperlein
Agendo Gesellschaft für politische Planung mbH