On Nov 15, 2016, Ed Glassgow  wrote:

> There have been efforts at pure graphical programming software.  In fact,
> there was a database program that was drag and drop in the relatively early
> Mac days.  I wish that I could remember what it was called, but time has
> wiped that from my memory banks.  It was very cumbersome to accomplish
> anything of any complexity.
it was called VIP  from the company Mainstay.  Visual Interactive Programming.
 As a matter of fact, I threw out the manual & diskettes just last week was
clearing out my basement.

> That’s a nice walk down memory lane.  All but 4D were very difficult to use.
yes soo true.

On Nov 15, 2016, Douglas von Roeder  wrote:
>  database application
> for a business using any of the Mac DB's. The contestants were 4D, FoxPro,
> Omnis, and Double Helix. FoxPro was too clumsy, Double Helix has an
> interesting approach (creating "tiles") but I knew it wouldn't grow well,
> and Omnis was so convoluted that I couldn't run the tutorials. 4D had a
> flowchart module. :-)
I must have been crazy for trying them all, but 4D was for me the clear winner.
Coming from a DB2 & IBM system-34 environment. It was coming from a B29 Flying
Fortress then flying a crop duster and has that crop duster evolved !!
Yes that was a very interesting time where all mentioned above were trying to
become the DB on that weird Mac platform with only 4% or so market share.
Brave young minds these DB creators.
Clear example of evolution in action :-)

greetings

ernie hilgers(Aruba)