while I love discussing feature requests,
I also take the pragmatic view that every new feature comes at the cost of an
idea delayed if not discarded.

so,
if anything is already possible with a little bit of creativity,
and fulfils the immediate need,
I would be ready to accept that,
to clear the way for more important stuff.

take the idea of table meta:

very limited (read-only), I understand,
but it is possible to use the "comment" property.
http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16/4D/16/Table-properties.300-3048984.en.html
<http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16/4D/16/Table-properties.300-3048984.en.html>

something like...

$structure:=""
EXPORT STRUCTURE($structure)

$dom:=DOM Parse XML variable($structure)

  //seems only <table> has an id attribute; alternatively traverse the tree
$tableId:=String(Table(->[Table_1]))
$table:=DOM Find XML element by ID($dom;$tableId)

  //need to init array in case "find element" returns nothing
ARRAY TEXT($comments;0)
$comment:=DOM Find XML element($table;"table/table_extra/comment";$comments)
CLEAR VARIABLE($comment)
For ($i;1;Size of array($comments))
DOM GET XML ATTRIBUTE BY NAME($comments{$i};"format";$format)
  //there is also an rtf format
If ($format="text")
DOM GET XML ELEMENT VALUE($comments{$i};$comment)
End if
End for

DOM CLOSE XML($dom)

  //for example...