> Am I insane because I start by search/replace variable names prior
> to understand some code from another?

If you're insane, I'm insane with you. I can't really "read" code. Maybe
some people can. I can read methods, but visualizing how they fit together
and work? That's harder. I like to dig in, rename things, move them around
a bit and get my hands dirty. I work on a backup and tend to throw the
results of my changes away, but that's how I come to grips with unfamiliar
code a lot of the time.

By the way, the only reason I use a module prefix is so that names sort in
the Explorer. I wouldn't use them at all if we had any sort of namespace
mechanism in 4D. Within methods, only have descriptor_type. What I was
saying earlier is that I've been very happy expanding my notion of "type"
past 4D's primitives. Sometimes, that's all I've got - it's a real of some
kind. Fine. But if it's currency, that's a better piece of information -
more specific and pretty darn helpful.

I picked the idea up from Code Complete years ago, for those that haven't
read it lately.