You're welcome.
I need this as we store all attached files of e-mails in our DMS and here we
find truckloads of duplicates (logos in mail signatures, etc.)
In order to avoid blowing up storage we calculate a hash of every file and only
store uniques, and then link them to the appropriate source documents.
Of course, when we switched to this system we had to cleanup all the existing
storage, hence we did somethings similar.
Using the hash has proven to be the best and most secure approach as ist is
guaranteed to identify identical files no matter what they are named, it even
finds them if someone mistakenly uses a different suffix (i.e. jpeg instead of
jpg).

Cheers
Alex