OK so within an hour of posting this and after a few dead end internet searches
I found this:

https://4dtoday.eu/blog/2015/02/20/tinymce-html-editor-for-4d/
<https://4dtoday.eu/blog/2015/02/20/tinymce-html-editor-for-4d/>

Which is exactly what I was trying to do :-)

So why did I not think this was possible to do?  The v15 Docs still say:

"You can call 4D methods from the JavaScript code executed in a Web area and
get values in return.
Important: This feature is only available if the Web area uses the integrated
Web Kit as the rendering engine."

In WA EXECUTE JAVASCRIP FUNCTION the docs also state:
"Important: Handling complex type results (objects, dates, etc.) is only
possible if the Web area uses the embedded Web rendering engine."

Are these the same or contradictory statements?

In any case Rolf is doing exactly this with the Web Kit option off and it works
like a charm.

Thank you Rolf Bachmann, I owe you at least a drink at the next 4D conference.

Regards,  Dougie

telekinetix Limited- J. Douglas Cryer
Phone : 01234 761759  Mobile : 07973 675 218
2nd Floor Broadway House, 4-6 The Broadway, Bedford MK40 2TE
Email : jdcr...@telekinetix.com <mailto:jdcr...@telekinetix.com>  Web :
http://www.telekinetix.com <http://www.telekinetix.com/>