On Apr 4, 2017, at 11:02 AM, Neil Dennis wrote:

> I found the new net work layer unusable as well. During heavy loads 4D will
> quit responding. I use legacy network and things work great. This was all
> done on a LAN not a WAN.
>
> I let the 4D engineers know about this at the last 4D summit. I have been
> unsuccessful in creating a small isolated database that demonstrates the
> problem. In my case it only happens in heavy load conditions and can take a
> few days to manifest itself.
>
> By heavy load, we have over 100 users hitting the database (all on the same
> network as the server) and there is a lot of network traffic. When I say quit
> responding… there comes a time, sometimes after a few days, where no one can
> log in, and those logged in appear to be frozen. Restarting the 4D server
> fixes this for a few to several more days. When I run legacy network these
> problems do not exist.

I was planning on upgrading a client from v14.4 to v16.0, but now I am having
second thoughts. Their 4D Client connections are currently rock solid. And
their 4D Server runs for months at a time without the need for a restart. This
client has 70-80 users connected.

I certainly don’t want to submit my clients to a v16 upgrade that results in
regular, weekly support calls of “I can’t connect to 4D Server” and “4D Server
is frozen and needs to be restarted”.

Can I run 4D Server v16.0 64-bit Windows with legacy network layer and 4D
Client v16.0 32-bit Windows without these network issues? Anybody doing that?

Tim

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions
785-749-3444