> On Apr 14, 2017, at 2:35 AM, 4d_tech-requ...@lists.4d.com wrote:
>

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 16:31:15 -0400
> From: Jeffrey Kain <jeffrey.k...@gmail.com>
> To: 4D iNug Technical <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
> Subject: Re: How to create Object field via SQL
>
> It's almost as if the SQL engine is a bolted-on afterthought to 4D that
> doesn't receive much love at all from the development team.

I couldn't agree more with this statement "It's almost as if the SQL engine is
a bolted-on afterthought to 4D that doesn't receive much love at all from the
development team."

- The fact that you can't use SQL in a trigger when a record is inserted,
updated or deleted via SQL is baffling.  Every other SQL database seems to be
able to do it.

-  You still can't use local variables in a EXECUTE IMMEDIATE SQL statement in
a compiled application?  Is it really that difficult to implement?

- Could there be some internal semaphore/blocking code that prevents some part
of a SQL query in one process from executing (this includes ORDER BY) when a
SQL query in executing in a different process?  In two different web
applications that have heavy concurrent use, progress bar windows start
appearing on the screen saying ORDER BY or LOADING DATA and as more processes
are initiated more windows appear the application grinds to a stop and must be
killed and restarted.  These are simple queries with Order By on indexed fields
on small data sets.  I replaced the SQL queries with the standard 4D Query
language and there are no more performance issues.  On all heavily used queries
I have replaced SQL with 4D query language.

- Why isn't the use of 4D array variables in SQL queries supported?

Assuming $aRecordID is a populated Longint Array...

Begin SQL
  Select * from Table where ID in :$aRecordID
End SQL

Bart