> Le 17 avr. 2017 à 23:36, Cannon Smith via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com> a
> écrit :
>
> I have a little problem I’m hoping someone can help me solve. First, a bit of
> background. Our application deals with RFID tags for animals. These are
> always 15 digit numbers like 124000123456789. Even though they are numbers, I
> never have to deal with them as numbers. Instead, I always treat them as
> strings. RFID readers are usually RS-232 devices that send the tag number
> over as a string, so that works out well.[...]

Hi Cannon,
just thinking about the opposite option…
You store the number as a string because that number is "too big" for 4D
numeric fields. Now, 15 digits string means 15*2 chars in an alpha/text field =
30 bytes, and not a number as a result. While a uuid field is a number, 16
bytes, represented by 32 chars. I'm wondering if a uuid field instead wouldn't
be better.

--
Arnaud de Montard