For anyone following along or reading this on the archives, I wanted to add
an update here from the 4D Forums:

http://forums.4d.fr/Post/EN/19391591/1/19391592

Thomas MAULRe: Provide developer control when a preemptive worker receives
non-preemptive code

> For me this is ON ERR CALL, which should be executed, but seems not.

as written, it was expected tht ON ERR CALL detects an illegal usage inside
a preemptive process and not quietly abort. It was filed as ACI0096789.
Already fixed in our development branch, modification currently in testing,
supposed to be available soon in 16.x nightly build branch.

So the answer is: always use ON ERR CALL in every process to detect
unexpected failures (out of memory, disk error - or using non thread safe
commands in a preemptive process).

So, not a design flaw - just a bug that's being addressed.